Friday, 21 January 2011


Something I really wanted to get right was the position of the rear brake lever so that it was spot on. No tipping the foot forward or having to lift the foot to get to. With the new bracket welded in place the lever was modded to suit, the bush was reduced in length and the pivot point likewise so that they would not stick in the heel of my boot and the  lever itself was 'persuaded' to change profile with a little Yorkshire technology  ( 3lb lump hammer)
To get the pedal to rest at the right level Ady had welded a small piece of steel to leg of the rear sub frame and half an hour with the file had a small but perfectly formed and positioned stop
I also took the grinder to the edges of the lever to smooth them off so that the precious boots don't get caught.
In the coming months once the bikes running I'll develop this pedal further with a little reshaping and some 'drilling' as nothing weighs as little as a hole! 
The next step was sorting out a brake rod / cable. I originally favoured a cable as it has to run through the rear shocker spring, and I hoped there would be less chance of fouling if I used the cable. Unfortunately the amount of 'stretch'  in the cables I tried was unacceptable, so a more traditional rod was called for. A length of 6mm stainless rod was threaded at both ends and suitable fittings pilfered from the parts bin ( actually a 100 litre plastic cistern briming with ' previously loved' stuff looking for a new home)
Movement from 'off' to 'full on' is approx. 15mm so it works well and with a little work will look just as good, until then function is king.


Well with the snow finally melting and more importantly the temperature rising above zero (briefly) and finally the introduction of heating in the garage progress has moved on so that the bike is now ride-able!
The first thing that needed resolution was the brake pedal. Although a pedal had been bought with the frame it was unsuitable ( wrong size pivot hole, arm was too short and had less than 5mm movement when mounted before it hit the foot rest) so alternatives were checked out and the neatest solution was to use a Sammy Miller tiger cub stainless lever from the parts bin and reposition the pivot point on the bike.
The very amiable Ady Brayshaw in Halifax 07984 160944 quickly had the new pivot point welded neatly to the bike and whilst he did that I checked out a very nice TY80 tank that he had just painted in petrol proof two pack. The conversation moved to how I was going to paint the frame and Ady agreed to do the job himself the next day and have it back to me within 24 hours for a very reasonable sum. The only downside was that I'd have to have the dry build complete and the bike stripped and back to Ady's within 24 hours...